Forestry Remote Sensing Specialist
Sywell Aerodrome, Northamptonshire (hybrid working available)
£DOE plus benefits
(Pension, private health insurance, 25 days annual leave, flexible working, electric car and cycle to work schemes, volunteer scheme)
2Excel Aviation Ltd is a diverse, innovative, and growing aviation company that is 51% employee owned. The Geo department solves problems using advanced remote sensing techniques. We own and operate several airborne camera suites consisting of survey-grade aerial photography and hyperspectral sensors; this is supported by a range of highly specialised ground-based sensors. We process, integrate, and analyse this high-resolution data with a range of other imaging and non-imaging sources to deliver environmental solutions such as remote tree health assessment, invasive species detection, and habitat mapping.
The role will provide domain expertise and data analysis support on innovative national-scale tree health mapping projects carried out by 2Excel. The main responsibilities for this role will include: interpretation of high-resolution photography to support desk-based assessment, tree health model calibration, data quality assessment, support to forestry research and development activities, and report writing. There is scope for the candidate to develop their skills in airborne survey, remote sensing, GIS, data analysis and programming with support from the 2Excel Geo team. The role is primarily desk-based with a limited requirement for fieldwork.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate that they have the following capabilities:
- Ability to work to deadlines (time management) in the provision of mapping services.
- Attention to detail in the provision of mapping services.
- Ability to perform tasks and achieve results with a high degree of accuracy and precision.
- Team-oriented, possess a positive attitude and work well both independently and with others to achieve common departmental goals.
- Be enthusiastic and willing to learn.
- Ability to work in an organized, logical manner and to follow a prescribed process.
- Demonstrate an innovative and inquisitive nature.
- Undergraduate/Master’s degree or relevant experience with relevant technical content, i.e., forestry, arboriculture, surveying, environmental sciences, remote sensing, GIS, etc.
- Full UK driving license shall be required.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience with GIS software and methods, e.g., QGIS, and proficiency with standard geospatial vector and raster formats.
- Experience in tree surveying or mensuration including digital surveys using GIS-based software.
- Knowledge of remote sensing and image analysis.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of UK tree pests and pathogens.
- Passion about and relevant experience in the forestry and environmental sectors.
- Experience with remote sensing software, e.g., ENVI, ERDAS Imagine
- Knowledge of object-based image analysis.
- Environmental field survey experience including GIS mapping.
What you’ll get in return:
In addition to working at an exciting and innovative aviation company in a small, agile team, we also offer 25 days annual leave, flexible working arrangements, company pension, private health insurance, electric car and cycle-to-work schemes and volunteering days.
2Excel Aviation is 51% employee owned. This unique opportunity provides empowerment to our employee owners and company-wide benefits to the future success of the business.
How to Apply
Applications must be sent via email to email@example.com with CV and cover letter.
Want to find out how Geo can unlock
added potential in your business?